Saturday, February 6, 2010

Hospitals, Doctors, and Mom, Oh My!

If you have not read the previous posts, please be sure to start with The Adventure Begins.  For the index to all posts in this series, please click here.


Lights were flying past.  Signs were blurring by.  I was zig-zagging in and out of traffic, driving much faster than was safe.

Beside me in the car was the limp form of a listless body.

"Is she dying?"

"Is it possible to kill a girl with just one kiss?  Was my breath that bad?"

I looked over at Rachael's prone form.

How did this happen?  I had just been standing at her door talking to her, looking into her eyes.  I had eventually put my hands on her waist as we talked.  She started to sound unintelligible, and her eyes became somewhat glossy.  The next thing I knew, she had just crumpled.  If I would not have caught her, she literally would have bounced off of the ground.  I lifted her up and placed her in the seat, ran to my side of the car, jumped in and sped off, making an Indy-500 drive to the hospital.

"Do NOT die on me!"

I began to pray in earnest.  "Dear God, please let her be OK.  Please let her be OK.  Please let her be OK."  It probably sounded more like a chant than a prayer, but that's about all I could manage.  I was in a bit of a panic.

After what seemed like an eternity, but was probably only a minute or two, Rachael began to slightly stir in the seat beside me.

Signs of life!

I still had no idea what was going on or what was wrong.  I just knew I needed to get her to the hospital as soon as possible.

She slowly came around.  She began to talk, or at least to make semi-recognizable mumbling sounds.  By the time we got to the hospital she was apparently fully recovered.  We went in so she could be examined. 

I had to make THE call.

The call you hope you never have to make.

How many guys have ever had to call their date's mom on their first date to let her know that her daughter was now in the emergency room at the hospital?

"Hi, Linda.  This is Travis.  I needed to let you know that I had to bring Rachael to the hospital and we're here now."

While I would never ever joke about something like this, I did have a practical-joke side to me, and her mom thought that this was a really bad joke.

"Travis, do not joke with me about something like this."

"I would not.  I am serious.  We are here at the hospital.  Rachael passed out and I brought her here as fast as I could and I thought you'd want to know."

Rachael's mom and younger brother, Matt made it to the hospital in record time.  I really didn't know if this was all my fault or not, but every time I looked at Rachael's mom, I felt like she was looking at me with very accusing eyes.  And that was before she knew that it was the kiss that caused it.

OK, OK, I don't know for sure if it was the kiss, and Rachael still denies it to this day, but how many guys do you know that can put a girl in the hospital with just one kiss? 

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.


For Rachael's side of the story, be sure to click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your feedback!